13 April 2021 Brussels, Belgium
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) has recognised 9 companies as Steel Sustainability Champions for their work in 2020.
Now in its fourth year, the Steel Sustainability Champions Programme commends those steel companies that are most clearly demonstrating their commitment to sustainable development.
The 2020 Steel Sustainability Champions are:
- JFE Steel Corporation
- JSW Steel Limited
- Novolipetsk Steel (NLMK Group)
- Outokumpu Oyj
- Severstal (PAO)
- Tata Steel Europe
- Tata Steel Limited
JFE Steel Corporation, Novolipetsk Steel (NLMK Group), Outokumpu Oyj and Severstal (PAO) are recognised as Champions for the first time.
JSW Steel Limited and Ternium are recognised for the third consecutive year.
Recognised for the fourth consecutive year this year, Tata Steel Europe, Tata Steel Limited and Tenaris have been Champions every year since the programme launch.
To be recognised, steel companies must:
- Sign the worldsteel Sustainable Development Charter.
- Provide data for 6 of the worldsteel Sustainability Indicators (material efficiency, environmental management systems, lost time injury frequency rate, employee training, investment in new processes and products, economic value distributed).
- Provide Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) data to worldsteel’s data collection programme that covers more than 50% of the company’s crude steel production data and is less than 5 years old.
- Publish a sustainability-related report.
- Be shortlisted in one of 5 worldsteel Steelie Awards (Innovation of the year, Excellence in sustainability, Excellence in Life Cycle Assessment, Excellence in education and training, and Excellence in Communications programmes) or must be recognised in the Safety and Health Recognition Programme.
Champions are normally presented with certificates at the April Special General Meeting of the Board of Members.
COVID-19 lockdown measures made this impossible this year, but photographs of members with their certificates in their home countries, along with photographs of previous Champions, are available on Flickr.
More information on worldsteel’s sustainability initiatives is available here.
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.