The top findings include:
- Three quarters of app developers have been in the industry for less than three years, thus making this a young, but growing industry
- App developers that enter this business primarily adopt the Android OS. Once they gain foothold, they start embracing other platforms.
- Indie developers happen to focus more on the Entertainment category, multimedia apps and games; while business and finance is the most outsourced category to an app development services company.
- Digitisation and monetisation of apps are two of biggest challenges faced by app developers.
- Since social media integration allows deeper engagement and brand amplification of the app, 90 per cent of app developers are exploring ways to achieve that.
App developers in the business for:
- Less than 6 months account for 11%
- 6 months or year account for 18%
- 1 year to 3 years account for 43%
- More than 3 years account for 28%
Almost 3/4th of the developers have been in the business for less than 3 years.
APP DEVELOPMENT BUSINESS MODELS
- 47% are Indie Developers
- 25% are App/Game companies
- 27% App Development Services
- 62% of app developers favour Android for their first year.
COMPOSITION OF DEVELOPERS TRYING NEWER PLATFORMS
- 49% of developers in business for more than 3 years having tried out a newer platform as compared to 4% of in business for less than a year.
PLATFORM & TOOLS
CROSS PLATFORM APPS v/s NATIVE APPS
- Native Apps compose 32%
- Cross Platform compose Apps 68%
A third of app developers build native apps only.
TOOLS USED FOR CROSS PLATFORM APP DEVELOPMENT
- Among cross-platform app developers, PhoneGap at 59% is the most preferred tool.
APP DEVELOPMENT PREFERENCES
- APP DEVELOPMENT AGENCY: 39% (Business & Finance is the most outsourced category to an App Development Services company)
- INDEPENDENT DEVELOPERS: 58% (focus more on the Entertainment category Multimedia Apps and Games.)
- Total revenue is directly proportional to the portfolio size.
- 84% Independent Developers face Distribution Challenges.
- 82% Game/ App Development companies face Monetization Challenges.
SOCIAL MEDIA INTEGRATION
90% app developers are integrating or planning to integrate social network within an app.
The Mobile App Developer in 2013
The Global Mobile ecosystem has grown immensely in the last few years. Mobile App development is a thriving industry with huge scope for aspiring developers. Every single day brings news that reflects interesting mobile technology breakthroughs that propels app development opportunities to the next level. Smartphones have brought with them smarter consumers, who have adopted apps to become integral part of their lifestyle. Considering that, many developers have been able to innovate across mobile devices and operating systems to create entrepreneurial avenues which has scaled their business faster. This opens up great opportunities for developers to build great products that can reshape the way people use technology. However, developing such apps is a herculean task for the developers, where they have to figure out ways to integrate crucial app developed lifecycle services such as ad monetization, analytics, bug tracking and in-app purchases. Based on the Mobile App Developer Survey 2013, this infographic showcases some insightful data with interesting stats and trends about App development while highlighting preferred platforms & development tools.