- Mphasis Corporate Social Responsibility and Uber aim to provide convenient, reliable and affordable rides for senior citizens and people with accessibility needs
- uberACCESS, an Asia-first launch for Uber in Bengaluru offers 50 retrofitted vehicles, with heightened roof and hydraulic wheelchair lift on-demand
- uberASSIST, a fleet of 500 vehicles are designed to provide additional assistance to senior citizens and people with accessibility needs
- All uberACCESS and uberASSIST driver partners have been trained and certified by Diversity and Equal Opportunity Centre (DEOC)
Bengaluru, October 31, 2017: Uber, the world’s largest ridesharing company, today announced the launch of two new products – uberACCESS and uberASSIST in Bengaluru, supported by Mphasis, a leading IT solutions provider, as a part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative. With an aim to address day-to-day transportation requirements of senior citizens and those with accessibility needs, riders can request uberASSIST rides starting today and will soon be able to book uberACCESS rides, the forward-facing wheelchair accessible product, on-demand. Trained and certified by Diversity and Equal Opportunity Centre (DEOC), all driver-partners are equipped with required skills to assist passengers with accessibility needs as well as those who need additional assistance during their ride.
- uberACCESS an Asia-first launch for Uber in Bangalore, is a forward-facing wheelchair accessible product. This option offers 50 retrofitted vehicles, with heightened roof and hydraulic wheelchair lift on-demand.
- uberASSIST is an option for those who require additional assistance – such as senior citizens and people with accessibility needs, including those who may just feel more comfortable with extra assistance when getting from door-to-door. A fleet of 500 uberASSIST vehicles accommodate most foldable wheelchairs.
Announcing the launch, Amit Jain, President, Uber India and South Asia said, “At Uber, we believe in creating transportation options that fit every rider’s need. The launch of uberASSIST and uberACCESS furthers our efforts in this direction. We are excited to partner with, and thank, Mphasis for playing a key role in helping us bring this idea to life. We aim to make these services available in more cities across the country”
Mphasis, through its CSR arm, Mphasis F1 Foundation, has done some pioneering work to create equal opportunities for persons with disabilities to access systems, services and resources. In line with same commitment, Mphasis F1 Foundation and Uber have joined hands to launch uberACCESS and uberASSIST initiative
“Over the years, Mphasis has pioneered various high impact initiatives in creating a barrier-free environment – be it through innovative services, policy advocacy or supporting accessible technology solutions. We combined our financial aid with a data-driven, strategic focus – the essential inputs for creating sustainable and scalable impact in our communities. I am glad my team approached Uber with this idea and together we are committed to the cause of bringing innovative solutions that enhance opportunities for everyone.” said Nitin Rakesh, Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director, Mphasis.
Mphasis, over the years has undertaken a host of initiatives to transform the lives of persons with disabilities whether it is pioneering accessibility services, policy advocacy, or research and thought leadership. The past year, Mphasis in partnership with the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) has set up a Research Chair dedicated to conducting high impact research on Digital Accessibility and Inclusion. Mphasis’ roadmap for Digital Accessibility is intended to empower persons with disabilities by enabling them to access digital content, web pages, mobile applications, and use all kinds of digital assets effortlessly.
Additional information about uberASSIST and uberACCESS
- Both uberACCESS and uberASSIST partner-drivers are top-rated partners trained by DEOC to ensure riders feel safe and comfortable for their entire journey.
- uberACCESS vehicles are rear-entry, which means that riders face forward when they’re travelling, unlike other wheelchair-accessible vehicles which require riders to face sideways or backwards. All uberACCESS vehicles have four-point tie-down straps, which are used to secure the wheelchair to the floor to ensure it stays put during the trip.
- uberACCESS and uberASSIST are one of the most-affordable ride option for people with accessibility needs
- Riders have access to a load of smart features to ensure they are in control. Being able to track the ride real time, ability to share ETA and allowing friends and family to follow the trip remotely are all features that can help riders feel more in control of their journey and spend less time thinking about logistics and more time spent getting on with their plans.
- uberASSIST and uberACCESS are not ambulance services, but a new choice for riders in need of assistance during their daily travels, whether they are riders with special needs or senior citizens.
To access uberASSIST/uberACCESS in Bengaluru:
Open the Uber app
2. Enter destination
3. Slide to the right and select uberASSIST/uberACCESS
4. Confirm pick-up location and request ride
Uber’s mission is to bring reliable transportation to everywhere, for everyone. We started in 2010 to solve a simple problem: how do you get a ride at the touch of a button? Six years and more than two billion trips later, we’ve started tackling an even greater challenge: reducing congestion and pollution in our cities by getting more people into fewer cars.
Mphasis (BSE: 526299; NSE: MPHASIS) enables customers to reimagine their digital future by applying a unique formula of integrated cloud and cognitive technology. Mphasis X2C2TM formula for success, (shift anything to cloud and power everything with cognitive), drives five dimensions of business value with an integrated consumer-centric Front to Back Digital Transformation, enabling Business Operations and Technology Transformation. Mphasis applies advancements in cognitive and cloud to traditional application and infrastructure services to bring much needed efficiency and cost effectiveness. Mphasis’ core reference architectures and tools, combined with domain expertise and hyper specialization are the foundation for building strong relationships with marquee customers. Click here to know more.