With about 50 million registered users, 10+ million daily visits on the portal and deliveries of about 8 million shipments per month, Flipkart’s second edition of ‘Big Billion Sale’ was started on 13th and will end on 17th. This is an app-only shopping event that offered discounts across 70+ product categories for customers to shop from.
Flipkart’s sale categories to be sold on every day of the sale:
13th – 17th October: Fashion
14th – 17th October: Home & Appliances
15th – 17th October: Mobile & Accessories
16th – 17th October: Electronics & Automotive
17th October: Books
In order to service the large customer demand, the company had opened new fulfilment centers across the country to guarantee efficient delivery.
The company is also giving an option of 10% cash back to its customers who will use selected debit and credit cards. Yes bank, Citi bank and Standard Chartered bank’s debit and credit cards can avail this additional benefit on shopping with their cards during these date –
13th – 14th October: SBI
15th October: Citi Bank, Yes Bank and Standard Chartered
16th – 17th October: SBI
Criteria to avail this additional benefit:
- Extra 10% off with Citibank credit cards. Minimum transaction amount is INR 6000; maximum cap of INR 1750 per card. Offer is applicable on all categories/products
- Extra 10% off with Standard Chartered Bank debit and credit cards. Minimum transaction amount is INR 6000; maximum cap of INR 1750 per card. Offer is applicable on all categories/products
- Extra 10% off with YES Bank debit cards. Minimum transaction amount is INR 5000; Maximum cap of INR 2000 per card. Offer is applicable on all categories/products.
Launched about two months ago, the company had already reached out to over 6,000 sellers across the country through the two initiatives – ‘Flipkart Seller Campus’ and ‘Flipkart Helping Hands’.
Last year, Flipkart launched Big Billion Day on October 6th and sold the products with business worth INR 600 crores in one day from mobile and desktop users.
Talking about this year’s sale, Mukesh Bansal, head of Flipkart, told media that, “It’s great to see 1.6 million app installs in the last two days, which is a great indicator that India has been preparing well for The Big Billion Days.“
Here are few insights of the Big Billion Day sale:
The first day for Flipkart’s Big Billion Day Sale was worst then their last year’s edition. Both, website and app struggled with heavy traffic. In fact, Gadgets 360 – a media company reported that it tried to access the Flipkart website, but discovered a “503 service unavailable” error just a couple of minutes after the sale had began. However, it was fixed after few minutes.
Despite all the issues, Flipkart managed to get an enormous transaction on its first day.
The company claimed to sell over 10 lakh products in just 10 hours witnessing 6 million visits pan India. The company also recorded 25 items being sold every second.
The largest transaction came from categories like footwear, men’s clothing and accessories. The sale was predominantly seen in the men product categories topping the chart in online buying.
Mukesh Bansal, Head of Commerce Platform, Flipkart said, “We have sold 1 million units already and expect to do a higher number by the end of today’s fashion sale. We are extremely thrilled to see customers from across geographies shop with us.”
Wednesday, 14th, was the first day of best deals on home appliances. This included Vu 40-inch full-HD TV at INR 19,990; Noble 32-inch LED TV at INR 10,990; Sansui 40-inch full-HD TV at INR 24,990; LG 32-inch LED TV at INR 18,490; and Micromax 42-inch ultra HD smart TV at INR 33,490.
Besides, the ecommerce company also offered Kelvinator 6kg fully automatic washing machine at INR 7,990; IFB 5.5kg fully automatic front load at INR 20,990; Kelvinator 245L double door refrigerator at INR 13,990; and Whirlpool 190L single door refrigerator at INR 10,490.
Few other categories also offered Sansui 1.5 ton 5-Star air conditioner at INR 23,490 (with free installation); Bajaj Solo 17l microwave oven at just INR 2,899; Pelonis 28L convection microwave oven at INR 8,499.
Bangalore, Chennai and Delhi were at the top in terms of visits from metro cities, while Ludhiana, Lucknow and Bhopal topped from the non-metro cities, according to Flipkart’s release.
The company started with great discounts on fashion on day one, followed by home appliances on day two and on third day with some amazing deals on mobiles and accessories.
Flipkart ‘Big Billion Days’ sale: E-retailer inks record, sells 500,000 mobile phones in 10 hrs. This sets a record for the highest number of mobile phones sold in India in a short period of 10 hours in any platform, either online or offline. The e-retailer said 75% of the mobile phones sold were 4G devices.
While metros like Bengaluru, Delhi and Mumbai were the leading cities in terms of sales, Flipkart also saw huge surge of interest from Tier 2 cities with Nagpur, Indore, Coimbatore, Vishakhapatnam and Jaipur leading in sales.
Offers on mobiles:
- Apple iPhone 6at INR 39,999
- Samsung Note 4 with 15,000 off in exchange offer
- Motorola Moto X Styleat INR 29,999
- Honor 7at INR 22,999
- Motorola Moto Turboat INR 31,999
- Xiaomi Mi 4i at INR 9,999
- Motorola Nexus 6at INR 24,999
- Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch at INR 11,499
- GOQii Fitness Band at INR 999
- Moto X Play – INR 16,999 only, with flat INR 1500 off + exchange offer upto 8,000
- Lenovo A2010 only at INR 3,990 (flat 20% off)
- Samsung Note 3 at INR 19,999 (INR 6,000 off)
Offers on smart devices:
- Moov now activity tracker & fitness band on pre-order at INR 5399
- Flat 50% off on Goqii smart bands
- Extra INR 2500 off on Moto360 SmartWatch
Offers on accessories:
- Flat 60% off on SkullCandy Riff headphones
- JBL 26 C at INR 500 only
- Ambrane 13,000 mAh power bank at INR 799 only
- Minimum 35% off on high speed memory cards from SanDisk and Samsung
How to make most of the Flipkart’s ‘Big Billions Days’ sale? Here’s what you should do:
- Download the Flipkart App of course : as it’s an app-only sale
- If you already have the app, make sure it’s the latest version which has the ping and image search feature
- Get your Wish list ready before buying by browsing through the products across categories
- Add the products which you like, to Wish list
- Save the delivery addresses beforehand so that it would ensure faster checkout process, before the product gets out of stock
- In case of using a card for payment, save the card details before hand
- Keep a track of the latest coupons, deals and discounts offered by Flipkart, by browsing through the online coupon sites such as ShopPirate or Couponraja among others.
Flipkart has always managed to grab the eyeballs, no matter for good or bad reason and this second edition sale was no such different. Electronics and Mobiles accessories, they have done extremely well however they were not able to impress in Fashion category. There was huge demand in the above mentioned category where most of the things got sold out tag immediately following others like Home & Appliances (2nd most favoured), Automotive and books. There were technical hiccups this time as well but Flipkart managed it timely. And now when there is 1 more day to go, we are yet to see, how will it ends.
For More Information Contact: