25 October 2022 Brussels, Belgium
World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 151.7 million tonnes (Mt) in September 2022, a 3.7% increase compared to September 2021.
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.4 Mt in September 2022, up 1.0% on September 2021. Asia and Oceania produced 113.0 Mt, up 10.6%. The EU (27) produced 10.7 Mt, down 16.7%. Europe, Other produced 3.4 Mt, down 18.6%. The Middle East produced 3.8 Mt, up 15.4%. North America produced 9.1 Mt, down 7.6%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 6.7 Mt, down 21.9%. South America produced 3.5 Mt, down 9.6%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|Sep 2022 (Mt)||% change Sep 22/21||Jan-Sep|
|% change Jan-Sep 22/21|
|Asia and Oceania||113.0||10.6||1,037.9||-2.9|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||6.7||-21.9||65.8||-18.5|
|Total 64 countries||151.7||3.7||1,405.2||-4.3|
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2021. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Thailand, Vietnam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 86.95 Mt in September 2022, up 17.6% on September 2021. India produced 9.9 Mt, up 1.8%. Japan produced 7.1 Mt, down 12.3%. The United States produced 6.6 Mt, down 7.5%. Russia is estimated to have produced 5.7 Mt, down 6.8%. South Korea produced 4.6 Mt, down 15.4%. Germany produced 2.8 Mt, down 15.4%. Türkiye produced 2.7 Mt, down 19.4%. Brazil produced 2.7 Mt, down 11.7%. Iran produced 2.7 Mt, up 26.7%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|Sep 2022 (Mt)||% change Sep 22/21||Jan-Sep 2022 (Mt)||% change Jan-Sep 22/21|
e – estimated. Ranking of top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
- A subscription with access to the iron and crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to worldsteel on a monthly basis is available for €1,075 via the worldsteel bookshop. This subscription includes access to 20 years of data in the Steel Statistical Yearbooks. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Information on capacity can be found on the OECD website.