- Online ad-spend almost doubled in India from 2014 to 2017
- India has the highest app re-engagement rate compared to other countries
New Delhi, 23rd August 2018 – Criteo (NASDAQ: CRTO), the advertising platform for the open Internet, has today announced the release of trends report ‘Acquire, Convert and Re-engage’. The Criteo-commissioned study conducted by Euromonitor, surveyed Indian CMOs and marketers and analysed local data to reveal the current state of play in India’s marketing and advertising landscape. Based on the report’s findings, Criteo predicts that 87% of total marketing budgets would be invested in the online space by 2022, with more than 23% of users having 2 or more connected devices. This report also takes a deep dive into the commerce marketing world to provide important insight for brands, retailers and marketers.
The report reveals that print and TV continue to dominate company ad-spend. The investment in traditional print advertising has gone up by 13.2% annually since 2014, while that of TV gone up by 11.7%. Amongst all these channels, online is one of the fastest growing ad-spend channel in India. It showed a persistent growth from 2014 to 2017, with investment almost doubling in the given period.
For marketing spend, paid display advertising is occupying a prime spot in the budgets, with 19.1% of total marketing budget allocated last year, followed closely by traditional marketing at 13.2%. The report also states that retargeting accounts for 42% of Paid Display Advertising spend and Search Engine Marketing is the next major digital marketing focus in India. Marketers have started scaling up their spends on this medium by leveraging its potential to reach newer shoppers.
Expressing his views on the findings of the report, Mr. Siddharth Dabhade, General Manager, India, Criteo said, “we’re seeing interesting trends in the marketing landscape that are shaping India marketers reach their audience. The way we shop is changing, and so is the way marketers need to work for acquisition, conversion and retention.”
He further added, “we have witnessed a constant rise in the number of active mobile users in India. As a result, the shopping behavior has become very sporadic and content is getting consumed constantly on 24/7. And so, marketers are also adapting to this change and redirecting their budgets to digital channels. As indicated by these trends, it’s the perfect time for marketers to acquire, convert and reengage with their customers constantly by leveraging the retargeting technology.”
Key findings from the ‘Acquire, Convert and Re-engage’ report:
- Online is the fastest growing ad-spend channel in India – Online ad-spend has gone up by 24.5% annually since 2014. The channel ad-spend is still at its early growth stage with ample room for growth, as more Indian consumers will go online in the future.
- India is an app-first market – India has the highest app re-engagement rate compared to other countries, including UK, USA, Japan and Australia. Also, India has witnessed more number of repeat purchases.
- Retargeting on the rise – Major part of marketer’s budget was allocated to Paid Display Advertising in 2017 and retargeting accounted for 42% of Paid Display Advertising spend.
- Going Digital by 2022 – 87% of total marketing budgets are going to digital, with Indian internet users reaching to 678 million.
About Acquire, Convert and Re-engage Research:
The research process for this study utilises both secondary research and primary research. The former includes desk research on Euromonitor International’s Passport reports and database of Digital Consumers in each of the covered markets (Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States, Vietnam); whilst the latter includes online B2B survey with digital marketing managers and executives. The B2B survey was conducted in April – May 2018 across all 12 markets.
Criteo (NASDAQ: CRTO) is the advertising platform of the open Internet, an ecosystem that favors neutrality, transparency and inclusiveness. 2,700 Criteo team members partner with over 18,000 customers and thousands of publishers around the globe to deliver effective advertising across all channels, by applying advanced machine learning to unparalleled data sets. Criteo empowers companies of all sizes with the technology they need to better know and serve their customers. For more information, please visit www.criteo.com