22 June 2022 Brussels, Belgium
World crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 169.5 million tonnes (Mt) in May 2022, a 3.5% decrease compared to May 2021.
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.1 Mt in May 2022, down 18.9% on May 2021. Asia and Oceania produced 126.8 Mt, down 1.7%. The EU (27) produced 12.9 Mt, down 6.8%. Europe, Other produced 4.1 Mt, down 1.7%. The Middle East produced 3.5 Mt, down 10.0%. North America produced 9.9 Mt, down 4.0%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 7.4 Mt, down 19.1%. South America produced 3.8 Mt, down 2.8%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|May 2022 (Mt)||% change May 22/21||Jan-May|
|% change Jan-May 22/21|
|Asia and Oceania||126.8||-1.7||582.0||-6.5|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||7.4||-19.1||38.4||-13.1|
|Total 64 countries||169.5||-3.5||791.8||-6.3|
The 64 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 98% of total world crude steel production in 2021. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Vietnam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 96.6 Mt in May 2022, down 3.5% on May 2021. India produced 10.6 Mt, up 17.3%. Japan produced 8.1 Mt, down 4.2%. The United States produced 7.2 Mt, down 2.6%. Russia is estimated to have produced 6.4 Mt, down 1.4%. South Korea produced 5.8 Mt, down 1.4%. Germany produced 3.2 Mt, down 11.5%. Turkey produced 3.2 Mt, down 1.4%. Brazil produced 3.0 Mt, down 4.9%. Iran is estimated to have produced 2.3 Mt, down 17.6%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|May 2022 (Mt)||% change May 22/21||Jan-May 2022 (Mt)||% change Jan-May 22/21|
e – estimated. Ranking of top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
- A subscription with access to the iron and crude steel production for the 64 countries reporting to worldsteel on a monthly basis is available for €1,075 via the worldsteel bookshop. This subscription includes access to 20 years of data in the Steel Statistical Yearbooks. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Information on capacity can be found on the OECD website.