21 April 2023 Brussels, Belgium
World crude steel production for the 63 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 165.1 million tonnes (Mt) in March 2023, a 1.7% increase compared to March 2022.
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.4 Mt in March 2023, up 8.4% on March 2022. Asia and Oceania produced 124.8 Mt, up 4.1%. The EU (27) produced 11.9 Mt, down 5.6%. Europe, Other produced 3.5 Mt, down 14.1%. The Middle East produced 3.1 Mt, down 17.5%. North America produced 9.3 Mt, down 2.6%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 7.6 Mt, up 3.0%. South America produced 3.5 Mt, down 7.6%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|Mar 2023 (Mt)||% change Mar 23/22||Jan-Mar|
|% change Jan-Mar 23/22|
|Asia and Oceania||124.8||4.1||345.6||3.4|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||7.6||3.0||21.4||-11.8|
|Total 63 countries||165.1||1.7||459.3||-0.1|
The 63 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 97% of total world crude steel production in 2022. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa, Tunisia
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, Mongolia, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Thailand, Viet Nam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Türkiye, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 95.7 Mt in March 2023, up 6.9% on March 2022. India produced 11.4 Mt, up 2.7%. Japan produced 7.5 Mt, down 5.9%. The United States produced 6.7 Mt, down 2.1%. Russia is estimated to have produced 6.6 Mt, up 0.4%. South Korea produced 5.8 Mt, up 1.9%. Germany is estimated to have produced 3.3 Mt, down 0.5%. Brazil produced 2.7 Mt, down 8.7%. Türkiye produced 2.7 Mt, down 18.6%. Italy produced 2.2 Mt, up 2.7%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|Mar 2023 (Mt)||% change Mar 23/22||Jan-Mar 2023 (Mt)||% change Jan-Mar 23/22|
e – estimated. Ranking of top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
- A subscription with access to the iron and crude steel production for the 63 countries reporting to worldsteel on a monthly basis is available for €1,285 via the worldsteel bookshop. This subscription includes access to 20 years of data in the Steel Statistical Yearbooks. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- Information on capacity can be found on the OECD website.