Delhi retains its No.1 position as an ecommerce hub
Mumbai placed at No. 2; Maharashtra ranked 2ndas an ecommerce State
Tier II & III cities closing in: Increase in Bharat & Rural Hubs
Exports booming, supporting Hon’ble Prime Minister’s‘Make in India’ campaign
Mumbai, December 18, 2014:eBay India (www.ebay.in)today released the eBay India Census 2014. The Census documents trends in online buying, selling & exporting across 28 states and 7 Union Territories in the country and export trends in 206 countries across the globe.
Mumbai is the No. 2 ecommerce hub in India with Maharashtra ranked 2ndamongst the total States & Union Territories in the country. The top 5 ecommerce hubs in Maharashtra are Mumbai, Nashik, Nagpur, Pune and Dindori.
Key Trends revealed in the eBay India Census 2014:
- Delhi rated as the No. 1 ecommerce hub and state with maximum no. of mobile phones and accessories sold. Bengaluru gained a position due to higher sales on electronic items like Laptops / Tablets / Cameras
- Tier II & III cities driving ecommerce in India: ecommerce in India has seen a significant upsurge in the number of people shopping online with its penetration into 4,556 hubs in the country. Online shopping trends observed in these hubs convey the rapid pace at which the 3,313 tier II & III cities (Bharat Hubs) and 1,233 Rural Hubs are catching up with the top 10 metro hubs in the country
- Women shoppers fuelling lifestyle consumption: Customers have been shopping more for products in the lifestyle category with women shoppers in the country being the prominent contributors to the category. The lifestyle category has increased its share in the pie to 45%, trailing the electronics category by just 2% now as compared to 7% in the previous Census
- Mobile Commerce to be the future of ecommerce: The increased usage of mobile devices to access the internet in conjunction with the deep penetration of mobile phones in non-metros has led to an increase in the number of people shopping online through their mobile devices. eBay India received 43% of traffic through mobile devices with 60% of products traded through mobile devices in India
- Push for the ‘Make in India’ campaign: There is a considerable demand in global markets for unique products like Indian jewellery and handicrafts. This growing demand has led to a growth in export hubs to 206 countries on eBay India, thus propelling Hon’ble Prime Minister’s ‘Make in India’ visionary campaign
The top 10 cities, states, rural and exports hubs in the country are:
|TOP 10 CITIES|
|TOP 10 STATES|
|TOP 10 EXPORT HUBS|
|1||UNITED STATES OF AMERICA|
|TOP 10 RURAL HUBS|
|1||GUNTUR (Andhra Pradesh)|
|2||TADA (Andhra Pradesh)|
|4||GHATTIA (Madhya Pradesh)|
|7||BUDGAM(Jammu & Kashmir)|
|10||VILLUPURAM (Tamil Nadu)|
Out of all 28 states and 7 union territories trading on eBay India, 35% of shoppers came from the Western region, while 30% shopped from the Northern part of the country. Considerable traffic came from South India standing at 27%, followed by the Eastern and North-Eastern part of the country at 6% and 1% respectively
The top 5 products traded and exported on eBay are:
|TOP 5 TRADED|
|2||NECKLACES & PENDANTS|
|3||AUDIO & HOME ENTERTAINMENT|
|4||MEMORY CARDS, PEN DRIVES & HDD|
|5||MEN’S WRIST WATCHES|
|TOP 5 EXPORTED|
|1||JEWELLERY & WATCHES|
|2||HEALTH & BEAUTY|
|3||CLOTHING, SHOES & ACCESSORIES|
|4||DVDs, FILMS AND TELEVISION|
Out of the total products traded, 47% belong to the Electronics category followed closely by the Lifestyle category at 45%.Collectibles and Media occupy 6% and 2% share of the pie respectively.
eBay Census 2014 research findings were based on an analysis of all online buying and selling transactions by Indians on eBay between January 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014. eBay India analysed eBay transactions over an 18 month period within the individual Indian States & Union Territories as well as the key Indian cities to identify the top Buying and Selling Hubs based on the number of transactions that have happened on the eBay India site. In addition, retail export transactions between global eBayers and Indian eBayers were analysed. Interesting fun facts, unique purchases, local, national and global trends all come to light in eBay India Census 2014.
About eBay India
eBay India (www.ebay.in) is a leading online marketplace and shopping destination in India where thousands of entrepreneurs list over 3 crore products across Electronics, Lifestyle, Collectibles and Media categories. eBay India is a 100% subsidiary of eBay Inc.