- Packed with powerful features like High Speed Autofocus and Intelligent Tracking, the new EOS 850D is a camera that users can enjoy anytime and anywhere
NATIONAL, February 25th, 2020 – Canon India today announced the launch of the brand-new EOS 850D, a versatile camera ideal for capturing moments on the go. It is powered with advanced technology such as Dual Pixel CMOS AF, EOS Intelligent Tracking and Recognition in Optical viewfinder and high speed Auto Focus (iTR AF) for face detection and 4K video recording for crisp and smooth footage.
EOS 850D is ideal for photographers looking to acquire new skills and upgrade from an entry-level beginner model to mid-segment with high end functions and operability. The feature packed camera will enable users to capture clear, sharp and precise images and record high quality videos. In line with their campaign ‘Do Great with Canon’, users will be able to capture precious moments on the go with the new EOS 850D.
Commenting on the launch, Mr. Kazutada Kobayashi, President & CEO, Canon India said “At Canon, we relentlessly strive to understand user sentiments and deliver our products and services accordingly in line with their requirements. Through our innovative line-up of products, we are proud to have built a strong legacy among consumers in India, earning a huge market acceptance and trust across segments. It is our consistent endeavour to encourage users in embracing photography as a beautiful form of expression and further promote the imaging culture in India. With the launch of our latest marvel EOS 850D, we want to provide the photography enthusiasts with an affordable product to further upgrade their skills in their photography journey. We are confident that our latest offering will enable us to expand our consumer base in the imaging industry and increase our foothold in the segment.”
Speaking about the new product, Mr. C Sukumaran, Director, Consumer System Products & Imaging Communication Products highlighted that,“Photography in India is at an exciting juncture, where both enthusiasts and professionals are looking at serious avenues to enhance their creative skills. Being one of the pioneers in this space, we take immense pride in providing the best of technology to our users in the form of our cameras. With the launch of our new EOS 850D, we want to address the evolving requirements of users and further expand the imaging industry. The EOS 850D offers a 24.1-megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor, EOS intelligent tracking and 4K video recording for superior image and video quality. We are hopeful that EOS 850D will receive positive response from users and inspire them to explore newer possibilities in the imaging space.”
The camera will be available for sales in India in April 2020.
Key Features of EOS 850D
Compact in Size but Big on Features
- Weighing 515g, the EOS 850D comes with a 24.1-megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 imaging processor for superior image quality. With an improved maximum ISO performance to 25,600 for still images and expandable to 51,200, the EOS 850D possesses exceptional low-light capability and is perfect for shooting at night and in dark places
- The EOS 850D also comes with an optical viewfinder that is equipped with excellent shooting performance and controls. During viewfinder shooting of up to 7 fps, users will not experience any time lag, and with all cross-type 45 point AF, a wider area can be covered to allow flexibility in composing and tracking, Ideal for capturing unpredicted subjects movements
- The new Canon EOS 850D comes with EOS iTR – Intelligent Tracking and Recognition in Optical View Finder, subject tracking performance is enhanced through face detection function, which enables users to detect faces even in environments where skin colour detection is lost against the background. It is made possible with information from 220,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor
- During Live View shooting, Dual Pixel CMOS AF on the EOS 850D makes it possible to achieve high-speed AF. When it is paired with a compatible lens, AF is possible in an 88% horizontal by 100% vertical area, allowing more freedom in composition. With free composition, users are able to achieve fast and comfortable Live View shooting with the EOS 850D
- Since the EOS 850D can specify any position from a maximum of 3,975 AF positions, it is possible to move the AF point smoothly, making it easier to pinpoint AF on the subject and focus as desired
- Additionally, Eye Detection AF is available on the EOS 850D, enabling the camera to automatically focus on the eyes of the human subject and allowing the user to focus on capturing natural expressions while ensuring a sharp focus, even when the subject is in motion
- Operation-wise, the new Quick Control Dial allows for easy setting changes and image search. Located in positions on the camera body that can be easily accessed, users can quickly change camera settings by simply turning the dials. Additionally, the new AF-ON button on the back of the EOS 850D allows the user to operate autofocus separately. When shooting a moving subject, pressing the AF-ON button allows the camera to keep tracking the subject with AI Servo AF and the shutter release button allows the user to concentrate on timings their shots perfectly and not miss out on crucial moments
A Great Movie Shooting Companion
- On top of its advanced features for stills, the EOS 850D can record 4K UHD video in 23.98p/25p format for a cinematic feel and Full HD video in 59.94p/50p format. The 4K time-lapse movie function allows users to easily capture stunning day-to-night time-lapse movies of cityscapes in ultra-high resolution through a selection of pre-set scenes or simple manual settings
- The EOS 850D also incorporates in-body electronic image stabilization to enable “Movie digital IS” for steady vlog or handheld movies. The 3.0-type 1.04 million-dot Vari-angle touch panel LCD monitor makes it easy to shoot video from high or low angles
- Users can expect seamless connectivity with Wi-Fi available on the camera for easy transfer of images to smartphones and laptops. Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is also available for remote shooting with smartphones through the Canon Camera Connect app
|Camera Model||EOS 850D|
|Image Processor||DIGIC 8|
|Image Sensor Camera Effective Pixels||APS-C size CMOS 24.1 megapixels|
|Exposure Control||220,000 dot RGB + IR metering sensor 216-zone (18 x 12) full-aperture TTL metering|
|Viewfinder AF||All cross-type 45-point (27-point f/8 compatible, 9-point cross) Single-point AF, Zone AF, Large Zone AF EOS iTR AF (face detection)|
|Focal Plane AF||Dual Pixel CMOS AF Image display area maximum horizontal 88% x vertical 100% Number of AF area segments: maximum 143 zones 4K movie: Contrast AF|
|Still Image Normal Maximum ISO Speed||ISO 25600 H (ISO 51200 equivalent)|
|Movie Normal Maximum ISO Speed||ISO 12800 (ISO expansion 25600 equivalent) 4K movie: ISO 6400|
|Continuous Shooting||Upto 7.0 fps (during viewfinder shooting, AF fixed/tracking) upto 7.5 fps (during Live View shooting, AF fixed) upto 4.5 fps (during Live View shooting, AF tracking)|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/4000 s (mechanical 1st curtain, electronic 1st curtain)|
|LCD Monitor||3.0-type, 1.04 million dot, Vari-angle touch panel|
|Movie||4K 23.98p/25p Crop|
|Size||131.0 x 102.6 x 76.2 mm|
|Network||Wi-Fi / Bluetooth Low Energy|
|Other||Quick Control Dial|
About Canon Group
Ever since its foundation in 1937, Canon is guided by the “Kyosei” philosophy of living and working together for the common good. Canon strives to create and deliver world-class products, becoming a top global corporation by diversifying into new business fields throughout the world. Focusing on optical technologies, Canon produces office equipment, consumer and professional imaging devices, network cameras, healthcare and industrial equipment. Through the close connection between its global head office in Tokyo and regional headquarters in America, Europe, Asia, Oceania and regional headquarters in Japan, Canon combines its global and local operations organically. In 1996, Canon launched its Excellent Global Corporation Plan with the goal of serving the society with advanced technologies and becoming a trustworthy and responsible corporate citizen. The year 2016 was the first year of Phase 5 of the Plan. Currently, Canon boasts a strong global presence of 376 subsidiaries all over the world, supported by 197,776 employees. (Data as of December 31, 2017)
About Canon India
Canon India Pvt. Ltd., a 100% subsidiary of Canon Singapore Pvt. Ltd., is a world leader in imaging technologies. Set up in 1997, Canon markets over 200 comprehensive range of sophisticated contemporary digital imaging product and solutions in India. The company today has offices and warehouses in 14 cities across India and employs over 1000 people. Canon has over 500 primary channel partners, 14 National Retail Chain partners, and over 6000 secondary retail points. Canon India till date has opened over 250 retailer stores accredited as “Image Square” across 100+ cities in the country. Canon India’s service reach extends to over 634 towns covering 18,195 PIN codes across India – which comprises of 270 Camera collection points, 16 Camera repair centers, 262 Printer repair centers, 191 Copier, Scanner and Large Format Printer Sales & Service dealers. (Data as of January 06, 2020).
In sync with its corporate tagline- ‘Delighting You Always’, reinforced
by World class technology, Canon offers an extended product portfolio,
including copier MFDs, Managed Document Services, Fax-Machines, Printers,
Document and Cheque Scanners, All-in-ones, Digital Cameras, DSLR’s, Cinematic
Imaging Products, Camcorders, Cable ID Printers and Card printers catering to
the multiple market segments of consumer, SME, B2B, Commercial, Government
& PSUs. In 2018, the imaging leader recorded a double-digit growth.
 With some lenses, the AF area will be 80% x 80%, and the number of AF area segments will be maximum. 99 zones (11 x 9)
 Includes battery and SD memory card (according to CIPA guidelines).