23 May 2023 Brussels, Belgium
World crude steel production for the 63 countries reporting to the World Steel Association (worldsteel) was 161.4 million tonnes (Mt) in April 2023, a 2.4% decrease compared to April 2022.
Crude steel production
Combination chart with 6 data series.View as data table, Crude steel production
The chart has 1 X axis displaying categories.
Crude steel production by region
Africa produced 1.3 Mt in April 2023, up 4.8% on April 2023. Asia and Oceania produced 121.1 Mt, down 1.5%. The EU (27) produced 11.1 Mt, down 11.7%. Europe, Other produced 3.5 Mt, down 17.3%. The Middle East produced 4.2 Mt, up 4.2%. North America produced 9.2 Mt, down 4.6%. Russia & other CIS + Ukraine produced 7.5 Mt, up 5.9%. South America produced 3.6 Mt, down 2.2%.
|Table 1. Crude steel production by region|
|Apr 2023 (Mt)||% change Apr 23/22||Jan-Apr|
|% change Jan-Apr 23/22|
|Asia and Oceania||121.1||-1.5||467.5||2.3|
|Russia & other CIS + Ukraine||7.5||5.9||28.9||-7.9|
|Total 63 countries||161.4||-2.4||622.7||-0.3|
The 63 countries included in this table accounted for approximately 97% of total world crude steel production in 2022. Regions and countries covered by the table:
- Africa: Egypt, Libya, South Africa, Tunisia
- Asia and Oceania: Australia, China, India, Japan, Mongolia, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea, Taiwan (China), Thailand, Viet Nam
- European Union (27)
- Europe, Other: Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Türkiye, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates
- North America: Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, United States
- Russia & other CIS + Ukraine: Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
Top 10 steel-producing countries
China produced 92.6 Mt in April 2023, down 1.5% on April 2022. India produced 10.7 Mt, up 3.2%. Japan produced 7.2 Mt, down 3.1%. The United States produced 6.6 Mt, down 5.3%. Russia is estimated to have produced 6.4 Mt, up 1.9%. South Korea produced 5.7 Mt, up 3.0%. Germany produced 3.2 Mt, down 3.8%. Brazil produced 2.8 Mt, down 5.9%. Türkiye produced 2.7 Mt, down 20.6%. Iran produced 3.1 Mt, up 5.9%.
|Table 2. Top 10 steel-producing countries|
|Apr 2023 (Mt)||% change Apr 23/22||Jan-Apr 2023 (Mt)||% change Jan-Apr 23/22|
e – estimated. Ranking of top 10 producing countries is based on year-to-date aggregate
- The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
- A subscription with access to the iron and crude steel production for the 63 countries reporting to worldsteel on a monthly basis is available for €1,285 via the worldsteel bookshop. This subscription includes access to 20 years of data in the Steel Statistical Yearbooks. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Information on capacity can be found on the OECD website.